World Blood Donor Day
- Every year WHO celebrates this day on June 14 to raise global awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products for transfusion.
- This year's slogan is “Give blood and keep the world-beating”.
- This day was first observed in 2004, whereas it was declared as an annual global event in the 58th World Health Assembly in 2005.
- This day is celebrated on the birthday of an Austrian biologist and physician, Karl Landsteiner.
- He is considered to be the founder of modern blood transfusion.
- World Blood Donor Day is hosted every year by different countries.
- This year, Italy will host the event, which will be held in Rome on 14 June 2021.