U.S. boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics
- USA recently formally announced a diplomatic boycott of the upcoming 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics in response to China’s human rights record, especially the ongoing Uighur abuse.
- The diplomatic boycott would mean the USA will not send “any diplomatic or official representation,” while still allowing American athletes to compete.
About winter Olympic
- The Winter Olympic Games is a major international multi-sport event held once every four years for sports practised on snow and ice.
- The first Winter Olympic Games was held in 1924 in Chamonix, France.
- The IOC is the governing body and the Olympic Charter defines its structure and authority.
- Uighurs, are a minority Turkic ethnic group originating from and culturally affiliated with the general region of Central and East Asia.
- The Uyghurs are recognized as native to the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of the People’s Republic of China.
- China rejects the idea of them being an indigenous group
- Since 2016, it is estimated that over a million Uyghurs have been detained in Xinjiang re-education camps"