Reservation for girl students
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced 33.3 % reservation for girl students in engineering & medical colleges of the state.
- The 33.3% quota for girls would be introduced from the coming academic session (2021-22).
- With this, Bihar will become the first state in the country to provide a 33.3% quota to girls in technical colleges.
The Bihar government has been planning to bring two new Bills
- Bihar Engineering Universities Bill
- Bihar Medical Education Bill
These bills will give formal shape to the proposal
- The Nitish-led government had in 2006 reserved 50 per cent seats for girls in primary schools and 35 percent in secondary schools at the panchayat levels.
- The state has also reserved 35 percent jobs for women in the police and 33 percent in other government jobs.
- To encourage girls to pursue higher education, the state gives a cash incentive of Rs 50,000 to those who pass their graduation.
- Women-centric schemes such as bicycles and school uniforms for girls were hugely popular and later extended to boys.