Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP) Insurance Scheme
- Union Government has extended the ‘Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP) Insurance Scheme for Health Workers Fighting COVID-19’ for one year.
- This will continue to provide the safety net to the dependents of health workers, who are deputed to take care of COVID-19 patients.
- The scheme is being implemented through an Insurance policy from the New India Assurance Company (NIACL).
- The scheme was initially launched w.e.f. 30.03.2020 initially for a period of 90 days.
- The insurance policy has been extended twice so far.
- The objective of the scheme is to provide comprehensive personal accident cover of Rs 50 lakh to all healthcare providers including community health workers and private health workers.
- This scheme was drafted by the government for the care of Covid-19 patients and those who may have come in direct contact with COVID-19 patients and were at risk of being impacted by it."