PM Modi launches Jal Jeevan Mission App
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Jal Jeevan Mission App with the view to improve awareness among stakeholders in order to facilitate greater transparency and accountability of schemes under the Jal Jeevan Mission.
- PM also interacted with Gram Panchayats and Pani Samitis/Village Water and Sanitation Committees (VWSC) on Jal Jeevan Mission.
- A dedicated Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh was also dedicated to the nation on the occasion.
Jal Jeevan Mission
- The Mission was launched on August 15, 2019.
- It is a central government initiative under the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- It aims to ensure access of piped water for every household in India.
- The mission’s goal is to provide to all households in rural India safe and adequate water through individual household tap connections by 2024.
- The programme will also implement source sustainability measures as mandatory elements, such as:
- Recharge and reuse through grey water management
- Water conservation
- Rain water harvesting
- At the start of the Mission in 2019, out of a total of 19.20 Crore rural households in the country, only 3.23 Crore (17%) had tap water supply.
- During the last 22 months, 4.42 Crore households have been provided with piped connections.
- This has increased the coverage by 23.36% and presently 7.66 Crore (40.5%) rural households across the country have tap water supply.
Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh
- It is a fund where any individual, institution, corporation, or philanthropist, be it in India or abroad, can contribute to help provide tap water connection in every rural household, school, Anganwadi centre, ashram shala, and other public institutions.