“PM-CARES for Children” scheme
- The government announced a special “PM-CARES for Children” scheme for all those orphaned due to COVID-19, which will include a corpus of ₹10 lakh for each child till he or she reaches 18.
- All children who have lost both parents or surviving parent or legal guardian or adoptive parents due to COVID-19 will be supported under this scheme.
- Under the scheme contribution will be done through the PM CARES Fund till the age of 18 years to create a corpus of Rs. 10 lakh for each child orphaned due to COVID-19.
- The beneficiary will be given a monthly stipend for five years from 18 years of age till he completes 23 years.
- On attaining the age of 23, the full amount of Rs. 10 lakh will be transferred to the beneficiary for his professional or personal use.
- Ensuring free education to such Kids, under this scheme, children under 10 years of age will be given admissions in Kendriya Vidyalayas and private schools whereas provision has been made for educating kids between 11 to 18 years of age in residential schools including Sainik Schools and Navodaya Vidyalayas.