Phishing attempt on Govt officials
- Several government offices, including Defence Ministry officials, were on Wednesday targeted by a malicious web link sent on WhatsApp and SMS, asking them to update their vaccination status
- When they clicked on the link, it directed to a page “@gov.in” that resembled the government website mygov.in, and asked to key in the official email and password.
- Phishing is a cyber attack that uses disguised email/messages as a weapon.
- It is a method of trying to gather personal information using deceptive e-mails and websites.
- The goal is to trick the email/sms recipient into believing that the message is something they want or need — a request from their bank, for instance, or a note from someone in their company — and to click a link or download an attachment.