NMPB, CIMAP Lucknow ink MoU to promote production of medicinal plants
- India is abundant in medicinal plants resources.
- To tap the benefits of this natural resource, conservation efforts are in progress.
- Aligning with this, the National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) and the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, (CSIR-CIMAP), Lucknow inked an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on December 6.
- The MoU promotes the production of quality planting material (QPM) of medicinal plants.
About the MoU
- The MoU entered into will be facilitating the development of QPM of medicinal plants and herbs identified by the National Board.
- Further, it will also help in the establishment of their nurseries for QPM development, promotion, conservation, and cultivation of the appropriate medicinal plants in different agro-climatic zones.
- In addition to QPM development, research activities will also be taken up.
- This may relate to mass multiplication, agro-technology development, Quality Planting Material generation of selected medicinal plants and herbs.
- During the tenure of MoU, NMPB will work through its implementing agencies i.e. State Medicinal Plant Boards, State Horticulture Departments, Regional-cum-Facilitation Centres across India in collaboration with CSIR-CIMAP, Lucknow.
- The MoU will also support projects related to QPM development of medicinal plants species.
Benefits from the MoU
- The MoU facilitates the conservation and cultivation activities of medicinal plant species.
- It will also help in the prevention of genes and species on the verge of extinction and also protect their natural habitats.
- It will promote the cultivation of appropriate medicinal plants in different agro-climatic zones.
- It facilitates the development of Quality Planting Material (QPM) of medicinal plants along with the development of nurseries etc.
- The MoUs provide the necessary support to resolve the issues related to the industry, facilitate the development of AYUSH systems, and provide a sustainable supply of quality raw material to AYUSH, Nutraceutical, and Herbal industries.
- Established under the Ministry of Ayush, The National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) works towards supporting policies and programs for the growth of trade, export, conservation, and cultivation of medicinal plants.
- Further, it is mandated to coordinate all matters relating to medicinal plants and their growth with the stakeholders.
- The National Medicinal Plants Board recently launched a national campaign to promote the cultivation of medicinal plants in the country as part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The campaign benefits farmers by increasing their income and also helps the country in realizing its dream of a green India.
- Under the campaign, 75,000 hectares of land are being cultivated with medicinal plants in one year across the country.