National Pollution Control Day
- National Pollution Control Day is observed on December 2 to instill awareness among people about environmental pollution and its disastrous consequences.
- The National Pollution Control Day is observed every year on this day in remembrance of those who lost their lives in the Bhopal Gas tragedy when the deadly gas methyl isocyanate leaked out of the Union Carbide plant on the intervening night of December 2-3 in 1984.
- The effects of that disaster are felt even now after more than 35 year.
Objectives of the day
- To spread awareness on managing and controlling industrial disasters To prevent the pollution produced by industrial processes or human negligence.
- To make people and industries aware about the importance of pollution control acts
Preventive methods taken by the Indian Legislation
- Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act of 1974 Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Cess Act of 1977
- Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act of 1981 Environment (Protection) Act of 1986 Environment (Protection) Rules of 1986
- Manufacture, Storage and Import of Hazardous Chemical Rules of 1989 Manufacture, Storage, Import, Export & Storage of Hazardous MicroOrganisms Genetically Engineered Organisms or Cells Rules of 1989
- Chemical Accidents (Emergency, Planning, Preparedness and Response) Rules of 1996
- Bio-Medical Waste (Management & Handling) Rules of 1998 Recycled Plastics Manufacture and Usage Rules of 1999
- Ozone Depleting Substances (Regulation) Rules of 2000
- Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules of 2000
- Municipal Solid Waste (Management & Handling) Rules of 2000
- Batteries (Management and Handling) Rules of 2001
- Environment Impact Assessment Notification of 2006
- The National Green Tribunal Act, 2010
- Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016
- Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management and Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2016
- Bio-Medical Waste Management Rules, 2016
- Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016
- E-Waste (Management) Rules, 2016
- Construction and Demolition Waste Management Rules, 2016