Jobs increased by 29% since 2013 as per All-India Quarterly Establishment-based Employment Survey
Major findings of the report:
- In the first quarter of this fiscal (April-June 2021) 27% of the establishments surveyed reported COVID-19-related retrenchment (reduction).
- However, the overall employment numbers had increased by 29% from the base year of 2013-14.
- Overall, employment stood at 3.08 crore in the first quarter, an increase from 2.37 crore as reported in the Sixth Economic Census (2013-2014).
- Top employment sectors: IT/BPO sector (152%), followed by health (77%), transport (68%).
- There was a decline in employment in trade (25%) and accommodation and restaurants (13%).
- Trend in female employment: The number of female workers showed a decline too, from 31% in the Sixth Economic Survey to 29%.
All-India Quarterly Establishment based Employment Survey (AQEES):
- The objective of AQEES is to collect the employment data on quarterly basis from all the establishments. It will show estimates for the demand side conditions of the labour market.
- Conducted by Labour Bureau, Ministry of Labour.
- The AQEES has 2 parts -- Quarterly Employment Survey & Area Frame Establishment Survey.
- The QES would provide the employment estimates for the establishments employing 10 or more workers.
- The AFES would provide the employment estimates for the establishments recruiting 9 or less workers.