India must show maturity in response to international criticism of internal matters
- MEA summoned the Singapore High Commissioner after a speech earlier this week by the Singapore Prime Minister.
- Singapore PM gave a speech regarding declining political probity in India and Israel where he mentioned allegations on Indian Parliamentarians.
- Those allegations were regarding various criminal cases pending and were filed against many politicians.
About the Speech
Singapore Prime Minister:
- There is a decline in political probity in India after PM Nehru’s tenure.
- Singapore must stem any political corruption if it is to not “go down that road”.
- About half of all Indian Lok Sabha MPs face criminal charges, which are not baseless.
- Many of these cases could be motivated by political rivalry.
- Speech was an unexpected broadside despite high praise for Nehru.
- Mr. Lee’s examples were arbitrary and contained unusual criticism of a friendly country.
- Singapore’s very controlled version of democracy cannot be compared to India’s more vibrant democratic traditions.
- This event is unlikely to cause more than a ripple across the broader deep bilateral relationship with Singapore.
- India must show maturity in response to international criticism of internal matters.
- Government must avoid an international reputation that lends itself to the Shakespearean line.