GI certified mango varieties exported to Bahrain
- 16 varieties of mangoes including three GI certified Khirsapati & Lakshmanbhog (West Bengal), Zardalu (Bihar) are being exported to Bahrain.
- For the first time in this season, India has shipped a consignment of 2.5 Metric Tonne (MTs) of Geographical Indication (GI) certified Banganapalli & other variety Survarnarekha mangoes sourced from farmers in Krishna & Chittor districts of Andhra Pradesh
- Mango in India is being referred as "king of fruits" and Kalpavriksha (wish-granting tree) in ancient scriptures.
- While most of the states in India have mango plantations, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka have a major share in the total production of the fruit.
- Alphonso, Kesar, Totapuri and Banganpalli are leading export varieties from India.