GI certified Jardalu mangoes exported to UK
- First commercial consignment of GI certified Jardalu mangoes from Bhagalpur, Bihar was exported to the United Kingdom.
- With distinct aroma and taste, Jardalu mangoes from the Bhagalpur district of Bihar received GI certification in 2018.
- APEDA has been conducting virtual buyer-seller meets and festival to promote mango exports.
APEDA has been initiating measures to boost mango exports from the non-traditional regions.
Recently, a week-long Indian mango promotion programme was organized in Bahrain where 16 varieties of the fruit including three GI certified Khirsapati & Lakshmanbhog (West Bengal) and Jardalu (Bihar) were displayed at superstores of importer Al Jazeera group.
APEDA recently organised a mango festival in Berlin, Germany as well as in Japan in collaboration with Indian embassies.
- Mango in India is also referred to as ‘king of fruits and referred to as Kalpavriksha (wish-granting tree) in ancient scriptures.
- While most of the states in India have mango plantations, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka have a major share in the total production of the fruit."