Colombian Army tightens grip on Cali
- The Colombian Army has tightened its control over Cali following the latest anti-government protests.
- Protests erupted in Cali and other cities in April over a proposed reform that would have lowered the threshold at which salaries are taxed.
- The government argued that the move was key to mitigating economic difficulties but many Colombians feared they could slip into poverty as a result.
- Santiago de Cali or Cali is the capital of the Valle del Cauca department and the most populous city in southwest Colombia.
- Cali is the second-largest city in the country by area and the third most populous.
- As the only major Colombian city with access to the Pacific Coast, Cali is the main urban and economic centre in the south of the country and has one of Colombia's fastest-growing economies.
- Cali is also a centre for sports in Colombia and is the only Colombian city to have hosted the Pan American Games.