Centre asks States to split wage payments under MGNREGA
- The Centre has asked the States to split wage payments under the MGNREGA scheme into separate categories for the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and others from this FY.
- Government of India has decided to provide separate budget heads for SC and ST categories under this scheme.
- Funds shall be allocated according to job cards provided for SC and ST beneficiaries.
- The existing system for wages under the scheme is for only one type that is there is no category wise provision of wage payment.
- Workers’ rights advocates said this will complicate the payment system, and expressed fears that it may lead to a reduction in scheme funding.