Assistance to Sri Lanka – Operation Sagar Aaraksha II
- Indian Coast Guard (ICG), in coordination with Sri Lankan authorities, has been tirelessly engaged in fighting a major fire on board the Chemical laden container vessel MV X-Press Pearl anchored off Colombo
- The coordinated joint operation between India and Sri Lanka undertook to respond to potential environmental danger has been christened as Sagar Aaraksha-II.
- When the ship caught fire, it contained 1486 containers containing chemicals classified as hazardous goods (IMDG).
- IMDG goods contained highly flammable nitric acid, methanol, methyl acetate, sodium hydroxide and polystyrene beads, among other chemicals.
- Being an active member of the ICG South Asia Co-operative Environment Program (SACEP), it is committed to its responsibility to protect the ocean environment in the region.