Agrasen Jayanti to celebrated today
- Agrasen Jayanti i.e the birth anniversary celebration of a legendary Hindu king Agrasen Maharaj is observed on the fourth day of Ashwin month of the Hindu calendar.
- He was king of Agroha, and it was from him that the Agrawal caste originated.
- The Government of India issued a postage stamp in honor of Maharaja Agresen in 1976 on the occasion of his 5100th Jayanti.
- He is the descendant of Kush, son of Lord Ram and he was born in the 35th generation after lord Ram.
- He is credited with the establishment of a kingdom of traders in North India named Agroha and is known for his compassion in refusing to slaughter animals in yajnas.
- It is believed that on the suggestion of goddess Mahalakshmi, he gave up Kshatriya tradition and opted for Vaishya tradition and she also gave her words of bestowing prosperity there for him and his descendants.